Amanda Harvey is a Partner at Mullen Coughlin and focuses her practice on providing organizations of all sizes and from every industry sector in first-party breach response and third-party privacy defense legal services. Ms. Harvey guides clients through all stages of responding to, or preparing for, a data privacy and security incident – ranging from the initial discovery to inquiries from regulators, law enforcement and the media. She has counseled hundreds of clients in investigating and responding to an incident compromising information and systems security, working closely with client resources, third-party forensic consulting experts and law enforcement to identify the nature and scope of a compromise. She advises clients on their legal notice and compliance responsibilities required by state, federal and international law, as well as those stemming from industry-specific standards, ethical obligations and/or by contract.
Ms. Harvey has represented numerous organizations, including healthcare centers, healthcare treatment providers, financial institutions, hospitality providers, online and brick-and-mortar retailers, hotels and other professional services providers in inquiries by regulators, including state attorneys general, state insurance departments, state health departments and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office for Civil Rights (HHS-OCR).
Additionally, Ms. Harvey has almost two decades of experience handling complex and diverse litigation, representing individual consumers, entities and professionals at all levels in both federal and state court. She is licensed to practice law in Texas and California, and has practiced pro hac vice in numerous jurisdictions where clients seek trial preparation. Her experience in handling complex litigation, including single-plaintiff and class action litigation stemming from data privacy and security incidents, has prepared her to successfully litigate matters within the designated timeframe and budget, oftentimes providing innovative legal strategies to negotiate disputes with minimal disruption to the organization’s business and reputation.
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS & PRESENTATIONS
- “Managing a Cyber Incident,” Dallas Bar Association, Dallas, TX, June 27, 2022
- “Cyber Attacks: How They Occur, How to Protect Yourself and What to Do If Attacked,” The Aesthetic Meeting 2022, San Diego, CA, April 24, 2022
- “Cyber 101,” Explore Healthcare Summit 2021, Norman, OK, August 27, 2021
- “Department of Insurance Data Breach Notification Requirements,” Continuing Legal Education, Dallas, TX, July 2021
- “What Is A Cybersecurity Legal Practice,” Women in Cyber Security (WiCyS) – Phoenix, Virtual, June 15, 2021
- “Women in Leadership Spotlight,” Dallas, TX, September 2020
- “Coronavirus, COVID-19 Cyber Risks and Insurance,” CRC Group, Podcast, April 2020
- “Cybersecurity: Update,” Texas Association of Defense Counsel Winter Seminar, February 2020
- “Texas Updates Breach Notification Requirements,” November 2019
- “To Improve Data Breach Response, Follow These Steps,” CRC Group, November 2019
- “Best Practice: Breach Response and Regulatory Compliance,” Insurance Business America, Podcast, Fall 2019
AWARDS & HONORS
- Texas Super Lawyers (2021)
- D Magazine “Best Lawyer” (2021)
- William “Mac” Taylor American Inn of Court