Amanda Harvey is a Partner at Mullen Coughlin and focuses her practice on providing organizations of all sizes and from every industry sector in first-party breach response and third-party privacy defense legal services. Ms. Harvey guides clients through all stages of responding to, or preparing for, a data security incident, ranging from the initial discovery to inquiries from regulators, law enforcement and the media. Ms. Harvey has counseled hundreds of clients in investigating and responding to an event compromising information and systems security, working closely with client resources, third-party forensic consulting experts and law enforcement to identify the nature and scope of a compromise. She advises clients on their legal notice and compliance responsibilities required by state, federal and international law, as well as those stemming from industry-specific standards, ethical obligations and by contract.
Ms. Harvey has represented numerous organizations, including healthcare centers, healthcare treatment providers, financial institutions, hospitality providers, online and brick-and-mortar retailers, hotels and other professional services providers in inquiries by regulators, including state attorneys general, state insurance departments, state health departments, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Office for Civil Rights. She also represents these companies in single-plaintiff and class action litigation stemming from data privacy and security incidents. Her experience of over a decade of handling complex litigation has prepared her to successfully litigate matters within the designated timeframe and budget, oftentimes providing innovative legal strategies to negotiate disputes with minimal disruption to the organization’s business and reputation.
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS & PRESENTATIONS
- “What Is A Cybersecurity Legal Practice,” Women in Cyber Security (WiCyS) – Phoenix, Virtual, June 15, 2021
- “Cybersecurity: Update,” Texas Association of Defense Counsel Winter Seminar, February 2020
- “Texas Updates Breach Notification Requirements,” November 2019.
- “To Improve Data Breach Response, Follow These Steps,” CRC Group Publication, November 2019
- “Best Practice: Breach Response and Regulatory Compliance,” Insurance Business America, Podcast, Fall 2019
Awards & Honors
- D Magazine “Best Lawyer” (2021)