Claudia McCarron, a Partner at Mullen Coughlin, is the Chair of the firm’s Litigation Department. She also serves as the firm’s General Counsel.
Ms. McCarron represents clients in class actions and other data privacy-related litigation, as well as before regulatory bodies. She defends firm clients in class actions in federal judicial circuits and state courts throughout the country. She has argued novel and developing legal issues in data privacy litigation in the United States Court of Appeals for the Third and Fourth Circuits, as well as at the trial court level. The data privacy clients that she represents include financial institutions, healthcare providers, non-profits, insurance industry members and other commercial entities.
Ms. McCarron began her career as law clerk to the late Honorable Daniel H. Huyett, III of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. In over 35 years as an attorney, Ms. McCarron developed extensive litigation experience in federal and state courts defending clients in litigation arising from professional negligence, catastrophic fires, products liability and insurance coverage disputes at trial and on appeal, including before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
Having served as General Counsel to two law firms, she finds that experience informs her understanding of her client’s litigation management concerns.
REPRESENTATIVE DATA PRIVACY AND SECURITY MATTERS
- Storm v. Paytime, Inc., No. 14-CV-1138 (M.D. Pa.)
- In re: Medical Informatics Engineering, Inc., Customer Data Security Breach Litigation, No. 1:06-cv-173 (N.D. Ind.)
- Hutton v. National Board of Examiners in Optometry, Inc., No. 17-1506 (4th Cir.); No. 1:16-CV-3025 (D. Md.)
- Sackin v. TransPerfect Global Inc., No. 17-CV-01469 (S.D.N.Y.)
- Rivera v. Aimbridge Hospitality, LLC, No. 2018-CA-7870 (Hill. Co. Fla.)
- Baldwin v. Mitchell, No. 27-CV-2018-900302 (Dal. Co. Ala.)
- Richardson v. Inter IKEA Systems B.V., No. 19STCV37280 (L.A. Co. Super. Calif.)
- Tango v. The Brooklyn Hospital Center, No. 1:20-cv-00189 (E.D.N.Y)
- Lewis v. Idaho Central Credit Union, No. CV.1-20-03733 (Ada Co. Idaho)
- Lautman v. American Bank Systems, Inc., No. 2:20-cv-01959 (W.D. Pa.)
- McPherson v. American Bank Systems, Inc., No. 5:20-cv-01307 (D. Okl.)
- In re: US Fertility LLC Data Security Litigation, No. 8:21-cv-299 (D. Md.)
- “A Look Inside Businesses’ Private Disputes Over Ransomware Costs,” Quoted, Cybersecurity Law Report, August 18, 2021 (Subscription Required)
- “Can a Cyber Crime Cause ‘Bodily’ or ‘Personal’ Injury? Maybe in the Not-So-Far Future,” March 4, 2021
AWARDS & HONORS
- Elected to The Fellows of the American Bar Association
- AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers: 2013-2016; 2021-2022
- Philadelphia’s Top Rated Lawyers of 2014