Kevin E. Dolan is a partner at Mullen Coughlin and an experienced data privacy and incident response attorney. He focuses his practice exclusively on assisting clients in preparing for, and responding to, data privacy and network security events.
Mr. Dolan has counseled a wide spectrum of organizations on each stage of post-incident response, including: determining the scope of an incident and impacted individuals; identifying and complying with applicable state, federal and international data privacy and security laws; and, developing responses to resulting investigations launched by federal and state regulators. In addition to post-incident response, Mr. Dolan frequently provides clients with proactive consultation on privacy risk mitigation and compliance strategies specifically tailored to each organization’s profile, from the review and development of data security policies and incident response plans through the facilitation of organizational trainings and tabletop response exercises.
Mr. Dolan’s expertise in data privacy and security is supplemented by his prior experience serving in a variety of legal and executive roles in the higher education industry, most recently as Vice President of Strategy and General Counsel at a Philadelphia-based university. This experience informs the practical compliance strategies and recommendations Mr. Dolan provides to his clients.
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS & PRESENTATIONS
• “Mitigating Data Security Risk and Exposure,” Board Governance Training, Philadelphia, PA, March 2020
• “Navigating Social Media Issues at Religiously Affiliated Institutions,” National Association of College and University Attorneys Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN, June 2018
• “Data Security Incident Response Planning” Cyber Security Tabletop Exercise, Philadelphia, PA, September 2017
• “Data Security Mistakes to Avoid – For Faculty, Administrators, and Counsel,” National Association of College and University Attorneys Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, June 2017
• “FERPA Fundamentals,” Philadelphia, PA, September 2016
• “Data Security Incident Response Planning,” Cyber Security Tabletop Exercise, Denver, CO March 2015
• “Cyber Risk Threats, Loss Control, Liability & Claims,” New Jersey Municipal Joint Insurance Fund Conference, Woodbridge, NJ, April 2014
• “Data Breach Coverage, Preparation, and Response,” CPA Roundtable, January 2014
• “Data Breaches: Is Your Community Vulnerable?,” Massachusetts Municipal Association, Boston, MA, January 2014
• “Privacy Breach, The Aftermath,” RIMS Rebex Conference, Chicago, IL, October 2013