Kevin Mekler is a Partner at Mullen Coughlin and an experienced privacy, cybersecurity and incident response attorney. Mr. Mekler focuses his practice on guiding organizations of all shapes and size through the incident response process when a privacy or security event has occurred, including from initial triage and investigation through performance of legal obligations the organizations may have. Mr. Mekler also advises organizations of their privacy and cybersecurity obligations under applicable laws and assists them with compliance efforts.
Prior to joining Mullen Coughlin, Mr. Mekler developed extensive experience as a trial lawyer and a deep knowledge of computer-related events and crimes both as a practicing lawyer in fidelity and as a Managing Director and Counsel of a team of as professionals handling crime, cyber and kidnap and ransom claims. This experience informs compliance strategies and recommendations Mr. Mekler makes for organizations, particularly those navigating unique operational situations in the privacy and cybersecurity space, as well as before his guidance before, during and after a privacy or cybersecurity event.
Mr. Mekler is also a frequent speaker at banking conferences across the Midwest, Southern and Mid-Atlantic regions.
- “Investigating the Employee Dishonesty and Theft Claim,” Chapter in Handling Fidelity Bond Claims, Third Edition, 2019
- “Social Engineering Insuring Agreements: Developing Limits and Exclusions,” Co-Author, 2018
- “EMV – The New Frontier of Fraud,” Community Bank Alert Co-Author, 2015
- “Strategic and Logistical Issues in Litigating Fidelity Bond Claims,” The Fidelity Law Journal, Vol. XX, 2014
- “Insuring Agreement G: Fraudulent Mortgages,” Chapter in Annotated Financial Institution Bond, Third Edition, Co-Author, 2013
- “General Agreement G: Insured’s ERISA Plans,” Chapter in Annotated Financial Institution Bond, Third Edition, Co-Author, 2013
- “Conditions and Limitations: Ownership,” Chapter in Annotated Financial Institution Bond, Third Edition, Co-Author, 2013
- “Important Riders and Miscellaneous Topics: Retroactive Date Rider,” Chapter in Annotated Financial Institution Bond, Third Edition, Co-Author, 2013
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS & PRESENTATIONS
- ABA/TIPS/FSLC Mid-Winter Meeting, 2018
- Fidelity Law Association Annual Conference, 2014
- ABA/TIPS/FSLC Mid-Winter Meeting, 2013
- ABA/TIPS Fall Fidelity Meeting, 2013
- Surety & Fidelity Claims Institute Annual Conference, 2012