Kevin Mekler is a Partner at Mullen Coughlin and an experienced privacy, cybersecurity and incident response attorney. Mr. Mekler focuses his practice on guiding organizations of all shapes and size through the incident response process when a privacy or security event has occurred, including from initial triage and investigation through performance of legal obligations the organizations may have. Mr. Mekler also advises organizations of their privacy and cybersecurity obligations under applicable laws and assists them with compliance efforts.
Prior to joining Mullen Coughlin, Mr. Mekler developed extensive experience as a trial lawyer and a deep knowledge of computer-related events and crimes both as a practicing lawyer in fidelity and as a Managing Director and Counsel of a team of as professionals handling crime, cyber and kidnap and ransom claims. This experience informs compliance strategies and recommendations Mr. Mekler makes for organizations, particularly those navigating unique operational situations in the privacy and cybersecurity space, as well as before his guidance before, during and after a privacy or cybersecurity event.
Mr. Mekler is also a frequent speaker at banking conferences across the Midwest, Southern and Mid-Atlantic regions.
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS & PRESENTATIONS
- “Cybersecurity Issues Facing Government Entities,” Preferred Governmental Insurance Trust of Florida Member Education Day, Orlando, FL, February 1, 2023
- “The Harsh Reality of Cyber Attacks in Public Education, Is Your District Prepared?,” Florida School Boards Association (FSBA) Annual Joint Conference, Tampa, FL, November 30, 2022
- “Cyber Risk at DEFCON 1 Level,” Florida Society for Healthcare Risk Management & Patient Safety (FSHRMPS) 42nd Annual Meeting & Education Conference, St. Petersburg, FL, August 25, 2022
- “Cyber Security for Law Firms – Why Law Firms Make Prime Targets For Criminals,” Injury Board Pathfinder 2022, Palm Beach, FL, June 27, 2022
- “Cybersecurity Insurance & The Mid-Market,” Spring 2022 Midsize Enterprise Summit, Orlando, FL, April 26, 2022
- “The Interaction Between Cyber Insurance, Data Breach Response and Cybersecurity Governance,” ABA/TIPS Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Conference, Atlanta, GA, March 3, 2022
- ABA/TIPS/FSLC Mid-Winter Meeting, 2018
- Fidelity Law Association Annual Conference, 2014
- ABA/TIPS/FSLC Mid-Winter Meeting, 2013
- ABA/TIPS Fall Fidelity Meeting, 2013
- Surety & Fidelity Claims Institute Annual Conference, 2012
- “Virginia Nears Becoming Second State with Comprehensive Consumer Privacy Law,” February 19, 2021
- “Investigating the Employee Dishonesty and Theft Claim,” Chapter in Handling Fidelity Bond Claims, Third Edition, 2019
- “Social Engineering Insuring Agreements: Developing Limits and Exclusions,” Co-Author, 2018
- “EMV – The New Frontier of Fraud,” Community Bank Alert Co-Author, 2015
- “Strategic and Logistical Issues in Litigating Fidelity Bond Claims,” The Fidelity Law Journal, Vol. XX, 2014
- “Insuring Agreement G: Fraudulent Mortgages,” Chapter in Annotated Financial Institution Bond, Third Edition, Co-Author, 2013
- “General Agreement G: Insured’s ERISA Plans,” Chapter in Annotated Financial Institution Bond, Third Edition, Co-Author, 2013
- “Conditions and Limitations: Ownership,” Chapter in Annotated Financial Institution Bond, Third Edition, Co-Author, 2013
- “Important Riders and Miscellaneous Topics: Retroactive Date Rider,” Chapter in Annotated Financial Institution Bond, Third Edition, Co-Author, 2013