Paul McGurkin is a Partner with Mullen Coughlin and focuses exclusively on assisting clients prepare for and respond to data security incidents and breaches including regulatory investigations and inquiries. Mr. McGurkin has experience advising clients on compliance with state, federal and international privacy and data security laws, particularly those involving protected health information (PHI) and personally identifiable information (PII). After a data security incident occurs, Mr. McGurkin assists clients in determining the applicable laws that govern their notice obligations and ensuring compliance with such obligations. In addition, Mr. McGurkin has experience assisting clients respond to investigations launched by federal and state regulators.
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS & PRESENTATIONS
- “Data Breach! What to Do Now,” Fraud Prevention Institute for Employee Benefit Plans, Boston, MA, July 12, 2018
- “How to Handle a Ransomware Matter,” Continuing Legal Education, Wayne, PA, June 6, 2018
- “How to Handle a Ransomware Matter,” Continuing Legal Education, Wayne, PA, May 30, 2018
- “Cyber Extortion Event – Ransom Payment & Bitcoin,” International Insurer Cyber Security Roundtable, October 12, 2017
- “HIPAA and Excepted Benefits,” Continuing Legal Education, Wayne, PA, September 26, 2017