Sian Schafle is a Partner in Mullen Coughlin’s Incident Response practice group. Ms. Schafle focuses her practice on the representation of entities that have suffered or may have suffered a data security event. When a potential data security event has occurred, Ms. Schafle assists clients in investigating and responding to the event. As part of this representation, she often works with law enforcement and independent forensic experts to identify the nature and scope of a data security event. Ms. Schafle works with clients directly to determine the impact of the incident on the client’s business; manner in which the potential intrusion occurred; identification of the individuals whose information may have been impacted; determination of the state, federal and foreign privacy laws governing the client’s notification obligations arising from the incident; and preparation of legally compliant notifications to affected individuals, affected entities, and appropriate regulators. Ms. Schafle also defends clients against third-party and regulatory actions arising from data security events including investigations by the Office for Civil Rights, the Federal Trade Commission, and Multi-State Attorney General Collation actions.
In addition to post-data privacy and network security event services, Ms. Schafle provides pre-data security event services, including document preservation, assessment of a company’s forensic and legal vulnerabilities, and assessment and development of data privacy policies and procedures and Incident Response Plans. Ms. Schafle also provides industry-specific recommendations for proactive measures to address and mitigate risk. As part of her pre-data privacy and network security event services, Ms. Schafle also assists clients in developing and implementing in-house compliance and training programs.
Sian is also the Chief Diversity Officer at Mullen Coughlin, overseeing the firm’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) initiatives along with the firm’s DEI volunteers, to proactively reinforce the firm’s belief of strength in diversity.
Ms. Schafle is a frequent lecturer on data privacy and network security matters. Prior to her employment as a Breach Coach, she served as an Assistant District Attorney trying more than 30 felony jury trials and over 100 felony bench trials.
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS & PRESENTATIONS
- “Today’s State of Cybersecurity,” Berks County Intermediate Unit Cyber Insurance & Incident Response Workshop and Forum, Reading, PA, January 12, 2023
- “Cyber Resilience for Contractors,” 2022 IRMI Construction Conference, Las Vegas, NV, November 16, 2022
- “Today’s State of Cybersecurity,” Segal’s 16th Annual Multiemployer Summit, Tempe, AZ, October 12, 2022
- “State of the Market: Cyber Claims Evolution,” Mullen Coughlin/Tracepoint CLE/CE, Devon, PA, September 29, 2022
- “Cyber Panel,” Edison Electric Institute Risk Management Committee Meeting, Orlando, FL, March 1, 2022
- “Legal Aspects and Ramifications of a Data Privacy and Security Incident,” Media Financial Management Association, Virtual, January 20, 2022
- “Cyber Security,” Cetera Financial Group, Virtual, April 7, 2021
- “Vendor Breaches,” International Insurer, September 24, 2020.
- “The Impact of COVID -19 on Cyber Security: Is Your Organization Prepared?,” International Insurer, Virtual, April 30, 2020
- “Cyber Updates,” International Insurer, Miami FL, November 19, 2019
- “Legal Issues That Arise in the Field of Data Security. What Is It Like To Be An Attorney in the Data Privacy Sector?,” University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, CT, October 7, 2019
- “Ransomware & How It’s Handled,” International Insurer Broker Meeting, Salt Lake City, UT, September 17, 2019
- “SEC FINRA,” Continuing Legal Education, Wayne, PA, August 21, 2019
- “California Regulations,” Continuing Legal Education, Wayne, PA, June 27, 2019
- “Issue-Spotting and Event Triage Prep,” Continuing Legal Education, Wayne, PA, May, 13, 2019
- “GDPR Impact on U.S. Based Companies,” 2018 PLUS Conference, San Diego, CA, November 9, 2018
- “Incident Response, Working with Counsel, and Navigating a Cyber Claim,” Cyber COPE Insurance Certification for International Insurer, Washington, DC, November 7, 2018
- “You Are Probably Breaking Privacy Laws,” Self-Insurance Institute of America National Educational Conference & Expo, Austin, TX, September 25, 2018
- “Global & Domestic Regulations in Data Privacy,” International Broker, Virtual, August 8, 2018
- “Current Threat Landscape: Where we are in Cyber Risk,” Women’s Leaderboard Conference for International Insurer, Philadelphia, PA, June 5, 2018
- “Cyber Insurance Essentials and Trends,” North American Contingency Association Annual Conference, Nashville, TN, May 23, 2018
- “Data Breach Response Team – Working with a Breach Coach and Forensic Investigator in the Investigation and Response to a Data Breach Event,” Annual Best Practices Workshop for Client of International Broker, Marlton, NJ, November 1, 2017
- “Paying the Price: Selling Your CFO on Cybersecurity,” SANS Data Breach Summit, Chicago, IL, September 26, 2017
- “Cyber: Prepare, Prevent, Mitigate, Restore,” Cybersecurity Symposium for International Insurer, Dallas, TX, October 3, 2016
- “Data Privacy Table Top Scenarios,” Caribbean Insurance Conference, Paradise Island, Bahamas, June 5, 2016
- “Cyber: Prepare, Prevent, Mitigate, Restore,” Cybersecurity Symposium for International Insurer, Los Angeles, CA, April 27, 2016
- “Cyber Breaches: What Do You Do When the Urgent Call Comes?” Broker Event for International Insurer, Los Angeles, CA, March 24, 2016
- “Breach Impact: From the First Claim through Resolution,” Privacy XChange Forum, Paradise Valley, AZ, October 25, 2015
- “Cyber Liability,” PRIMA Conference, Sarasota, FL, October 13, 2015